We want children to enjoy learning through involvement in a meaningful, purposeful and relevant curriculum that develops lively, enquiring minds and gives children skills for life. The National Curriculum is used to guide and support teaching and learning at the school. The Early Years Foundation Stage curriculum is used by Reception and Nursery.
The National Curriculum includes:
Core Subjects: English, Maths, Science, Information and Communication Technology
The Foundation Subjects: Design & Technology, Art & Design, Music, P.E., Geography, History, R.E., Personal Social and Health Education & Citizenship.
Careful planning ensures that these subjects are matched with the age, ability and experience of each child. Computers are used throughout the curriculum, both as a teaching resource and as a tool for recording, collecting and sorting information. Half–termly year group newsletters are sent out to inform parents what the children will be learning about during the next half term, and to offer suggestions of what can be done at home to support the learning.
We aim to ensure that all pupils have:
- Equality of opportunity through the encouragement of positive self-esteem and the provision of an appropriate and differentiated curriculum
- That pupils learn through an active curriculum with involvement in practical and meaningful activities
- That pupils are encouraged to think for themselves and become increasingly independent and responsible for their own learning
- That pupils have opportunities to cooperate and work with others as well as by themselves
- That everyone in the school community develops an understanding of and sensitivity to the rights, responsibilities and respect of others as well as themselves
- That pupils experience a curriculum which is differentiated, with continuity and progression maintained as they pass through the school
- That the curriculum we provide is linked across subjects, as and when appropriate, through year group and whole school themes
- That we monitor the progress and achievements of pupils throughout their time at our school and report this to parents on a regular basis.